Professional Photogrammetry Solution
The Artec Metrology Kit is a professional photogrammetry solution with metrology-grade precision and high-end volumetric accuracy for inspection, reverse engineering, and other industrial measurement applications.
Using a high-accuracy optical coordinate measuring system makes inspection of objects like vehicles, aircraft components, ships, and wind turbines a reliable, straightforward process.
Artec Metrology Kit Benefits
A 3D optical coordinate measuring system for high-precision industrial applications – think deformation analysis, testing, inspection.
The Metrology Kit is flexible enough to integrate into your workflow, delivers perfect results both in your workshop and outdoors, and is compatible with major software like Control X and PolyWorks.
The Metrology Kit can operate as a standalone optical measurement solution, or as a referencing tool for even higher 3D scanning accuracy over distance. Using the Metrology Kit plugin, you get the entire 3D scanning + photogrammetry workflow right inside Artec Studio.
DAkkS-certified 6DoF optical measurement
Complete optical coordinate measuring system with accuracy of up to 10 microns. Camera resolution of up to 30.3 megapixels, a 28-mm wide-angle lens, measurement targets, adapters, and scale bars.
Use it anywhere
The whole Kit fits in a rugged, portable case, and with dynamic referencing, you can capture objects in motion – perfect on sites where it’s impractical to use traditional measuring machines and other 3D measurement tools.
Compatible with different software
The Artec Metrology Kit is compatible with industry-leading software solutions like Geomagic Control X, PolyWorks, and many more.
Artec Metrology Kit Applications & Features
Using a high-accuracy optical coordinate measuring system makes inspection of objects like aircraft components, ships, and wind turbines a reliable, straightforward process.
- High precision for full confidence: Get much more precise datasets and confidently perform inspection in use cases where requirements on repeatability are high.
- Incorporate photogrammetry data into your own workflow: Use the Metrology Kit’s data in your own workflow to make comparisons with 3D meshes, CAD entities, and to make highly accurate measurements of distances.
- Maintain precision in unstable environments: Accurate measurements fulfilling repeatability requirements can be taken during almost any production step – even where the part is in motion. On a hydraulic ramp, for example.
Use this optical measurement solution to analyze the deformation characteristics of materials under different environmental conditions and loads – processes where a short measuring time is crucial. The Metrology Kit is great for analyzing the geometrical changes of things like storage tanks, vehicle components, or design prototypes.
- Short measuring time: Work comfortably in demanding testing environments such as climate chambers, where very short acquisition times are crucial, but reliable precision and highly accurate datasets are non-negotiable.
- Convenient workflow: The Metrology Kit’s simple workflow is especially important given the large number of measurement points typical in deformation analysis and extreme working conditions like high temperatures and humidity.
- Portable and flexible: The Metrology Kit’s portability ensures ease of use when working in tight spaces often characteristic of climate chambers.
Referencing for 3D scanning
Combine the dense point cloud of a metrology 3D scanner with the high precision of the Kit’s optical measurements to expand the capabilities of small to medium-sized object scanners. You can have the best of both worlds obtaining high resolution on smaller elements within large objects while having them fully captured with minimal accumulated error and high volumetric accuracy.
- Greater accuracy over distance: The Metrology Kit produces a point cloud with high volumetric accuracy that you can use as a reference to get great 3D scanning results over distance even when you’re not using a 3D scanner for metrology.
- Simplified workflow: A complete, self-contained workflow from signalizing to reporting makes the measurement process seamless, and integrates the whole photogrammetry-complemented pipeline into one environment.
- Increase the range of smaller scanners: Use scanners with a relatively small field of view to accurately capture much larger objects. This means you can capture small details while maintaining very high volumetric accuracy, up to 0.015 mm + 0.015 mm/m.
Easy Data Capture
The Metrology Kit’s portability makes it easy to transport by helicopter. A short measuring time, easy workflow, and dynamic referencing make it the ideal solution for such high-accuracy applications in unstable conditions:
- Automotive: A major car manufacturer in Germany used the Metrology Kit for quality control to analyze the positions of welding studs on every fourth chassis in a production line. The results were used to program the welding robot.
- R&D: As part of tests and research for autonomous driving, major car manufacturers use the Metrology Kit to accurately determine the positions of sensors on a car body and correctly place them within the car’s coordinate system.
- Aerospace: Organizations in astronomy, defense, and space in the UK, Germany, and Japan use the Metrology Kit for high-accuracy applications. Deformation analysis was done on the main and sub panel systems of this large satellite antenna tilted at various angles.
Example 3D Scans
Pick on the posts below to view example 3D scanned models captured with Artec 3D Scanners:
Artec Metrology Kit Specifications
Two kits to choose from, Professional and Entry
|Length measurement accuracy | MPE*||0.015 mm + 0.015 mm × Length diagonal [m]||0.025 mm + 0.025 mm × Length diagonal [m]|
|Point-based measurement accuracy||0.002 mm + 0.005 mm/m (RMS)|
0.003 mm + 0.007 mm/m (3 sigma)
|0.004 mm + 0.006 mm/m (RMS)|
0.005 mm + 0.009 mm/m (3 sigma)
*MPE (Maximum Permissible Error) of length measurement error, based on VDI/VDE 2634 part 1: defined as the maximum permissible deviation of a measured length, which is located between two measuring points, signalized with photogrammetric targets, in the entire measuring volume of the measuring object, regardless of the position and orientation.
|Volumetric accuracy combined with 3D scanners||Professional||Entry|
|Artec Leo/Artec Eva||0.115 mm + 0.015 mm/m||0.125 mm + 0.025 mm/m|
|Artec Space Spider||0.065 mm + 0.015 mm/m||0.075 mm + 0.025 mm/m|
|Sensor unit||Canon EOS R||Canon EOS 6D|
|Lens||28 mm AICON metric wide-angle lens||28 mm AICON metric wide-angle lens|
|Camera resolution||30.3 megapixels (6720 × 4480)||20.2 megapixels (5472 × 3648)|
|Field of view (FoV)||65 × 46°||65 × 46°|
|Illumination||White-light flash||White-light flash|
|Speed||Up to 8 images per second||Up to 4 images per second|
|Wireless data transfer||Optional||Not supported|
|Power supply||Li-ion battery||Li-ion battery|
|Dimensions||215 × 120 × 140 mm||245 × 110 × 150 mm|
|External dimensions of transportation box||520 × 430 × 250 mm||870 × 230 × 170 mm|
|Sensor weight||1.7 kg / 3.7 lb||1.4 kg / 3 lb|
|Weight of transportation box including system||Approx. 12 kg / 26.5 lb||Approx. 7.7 kg / 17 lb|
|Storage||Robust case with trolley||Robust case|
|Recommended operating temperature||+5 to +45°C||+5 to +45°C|
|Conformity||CE, RoHS||CE, RoHS|
|Calibration and certification||DAkkS certificate for the complete measuring system including scale bars and sensor|
DAkkS-calibrated scale bars: 1 × 1430 mm, 1 × 830 mm
VDI 2634 page 1 certified system
|DAkkS certificate for the complete measuring system including scale bars and sensor|
Factory-calibrated scale cross 800
Opt. VDI 2634 page 1 certified system
Artec 3D Scanners are used in a wide variety of industry applications
- Product design
- 3D documentation
Industrial design and manufacturing
- Reverse engineering
- Quality control
- Rapid prototyping
Medical and Life Sciences
- Plastic surgery
- Custom wheelchairs
Science and education
- Online museums
Art and design
- Heritage preservation
Artec Studio Software
Smart 3D data processing has never been easier
Create professional 3D models with the most comprehensive software for 3D scanning and data processing on the market today.
Enjoy a wide range of innovative features, including the cutting-edge Autopilot mode that expertly guides you through the whole post-processing pipeline, automatically choosing the best algorithms for your data, so you can watch your high precision model being put together before your eyes.
You can also take full control of your results with the wide variety of advanced features available.
Photogrammetry 3D Scanning Process
Combine photogrammetry’s optical measurement with 3D scanning
Cover the object’s surfaces with targets, reference crosses, and scale bars. It is crucial that none of these move relative to the object for the entirety of the capture process.
Capturing your photogrammetry images
Take a series of photos at different heights, going around the object with the camera until you’ve captured the object in its entirety. Capture each target at least 6 times, and the reference cross from four perpendicular angles.
Generating a reference target cloud
In Artec Studio, select the Artec Metrology Kit plugin from the file menu. Import the images you’ve just captured, run registration, and generate the reference target cloud. The target cloud will appear in the workspace. It is possible to generate multiple target clouds to choose from prior to scanning.
Remove coded targets, reference crosses, and scale bars, leaving only the non-coded targets, and scan the object in its entirety. If you are using Artec Leo, transfer the OBC file, which contains the coordinates of the targets that will be used as references for scan data, onto the scanner before you start scanning.
Choose the version that suits your needs
The Artec Metrology Kit comes in two versions. The Entry version is designed for less demanding engineering use cases, while the Professional version provides higher accuracy and is designed to make photogrammetry in more challenging environments easier.
- 30.3-megapixel digital camera
- Point-based accuracy (RMS) up to 0.002 mm + 0.005 mm/m
- Length measurement accuracy up to 0.015 mm + 0.015 mm/m
- WiFi connectivity and remote-control options
- Metrology Kit plugin for Artec Studio
- Adjustable camera settings
- Additional measurement targets: adaptors (for features like holes, edges, etc.) + separated reference cross and scale bar (for larger and more complex parts)
- 20-megapixel digital camera
- Point-based accuracy (RMS) up to 0.004 mm + 0.005 mm/m
- Length measurement accuracy up to 0.025 mm + 0.025 mm/m
- Metrology Kit plugin for Artec Studio
- Adjustable camera settings
- Basic range of measurement accessories: targets and scale bars